Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Fresh Salsa and Tortilla Chips

Even as we get ready for tonight's last (hopefully) snowstorm of the year, I am reminded of sunshine and salsa. I was in Rising Tide today talking about cooking on tv. John and I were standing in the produce section and I spied the most beautiful rip red tomatoes. They reminded me of a time when I would make dinners for dozens of friends in my tiny dorm kitchen. We would make a gallon of fresh salsa and scare up some chips. With these two things we were on our way to a fantastic evening picnic. Here's a recipe for fresh salsa that will get your party started on the right foot.
Fresh Salsa
2 large ripe tomatoes, finely diced
1/4 cup sweet onion, finely diced
2 scallions, finely chopped
4 Tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 Tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1 large clove garlic, crushed and finely minced
1/2 orange bell pepper, minced (optional)
1/2 red bell pepper, minced (optional)
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Pinch of chili flakes or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lime
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt and a few grinds of black pepper
Combine all ingredients in a non reactive bowl and chill at least 1 hour before serving.
Great with the addition of chopped fresh peaches or mango, more heat from additional jalapenos or black beans and corn.

No comments: