Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Be My Valentine

Cupid certainly found me this year. We are sitting here all cozy and warm- actually warming up the house just in case we lose power. The blizzard is raging outside. It took some serious wrangling to get the door open an hour ago to take Ginger the Wonder Dog outside. I would guess that we have a good 10 inches of fresh, very heavy, icy-snow. The weather man says that we have another 8 hours or so before it's through. This year we purchased a share in a pig with some friends. We seared some meaty ribs for dinner with carmellized vidalia onions. I created a new barbeque type sauce that went over the top before I popped it into the oven to braise for a couple of hours. When we sat down to eat the meat just melted off the bones. I had found an enormous potato at the market this week and baked it up to go alongside the pork. It was delicious, mashed, with the sauce draped over the top. If you'd like the recipe for the bbq, let me know. It's a tomato base with garlic, fresh clementines, apple butter and maple syrup. Soo good. I'm just about ready for my Valentine's nightcap of hot chocolate before we're off to snuggle up for the night. Cheers!
If you want to make your own hot chocolate- stir a handful of dark chocolate bits together with a cup of Hot milk. Once the chocolate is melted add a tiny sparkle of vanilla and a couple of Tablespoons of half and half or cream. Heat it again and stir well. Add extra chocolate if you like it darker. You can sprinkle it with a pinch of nutmeg or cinnamon or cayenne pepper or sea salt. My daughter loves a peppermint stick for stirring. Whipped cream or marshmallow fluff floating on top is a delicious final touch. Yummm.

I'll leave you with this:
crystal snowflakes dance
whirling in time to rhythms
whispered on the wind

No comments: