Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Boil your Dinner and Serve it with Remoulade Sauce

Elizabeth loves to bake. She is an excellent little chef. I made the traditional boiled dinner tonight to celebrate St. Patty's Day. No green beer-- but yummy corned beef, cabbage for the grownups and boiled potatoes for all of us. I've taken to peeling a few long carrots before dinner and have them out for the inevitable, "Mom, what can I have to eat...?" They have loved crunching the carrots while I'm putting the finishing touches on dinner. The house smells so good right now! We'll have a remoulade sauce with the corned beef. It's great with ham too.
Once my little peanut has cleaned her room we are baking a cake- she says she wants carrot or applesauce cake. We'll let you know which one we make and give you the recipe tomorrow. Happy St Patrick's Day!
Remoulade Sauce with Variations
This can be as simple as mixing the first two ingredients. Add additional ingredients as you like and taste as you go. Stop when you love it! I am usually making this on the fly with the ingredients I've got on hand.
1 c mayonnaise- I use hellmanns
1/4 c Dijon or honey mustard
5 twists fresh ground black pepper
1 T horseradish
2-4 T chili sauce
2 T (sweet, dill or mustard pickle) relish
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 t garlic, finely minced
1 T vinegar- red wine/balsamic/rosemary as you like
2 T parsley, chopped
1 t Tabasco sauce - more or less if you like it spicy
1 t maple sugar
Mix all together and use as a sauce for meat or fish. A little goes a long way.

No comments: