Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Chicken Noodle Soup for the Stomach and the Soul

Cam came to the house tonight- I can always tell when a friend has become part of that insider group- the ones that are chosen as family- when my house feels messy and I don't stress about it before they arrive. Admittedly I warned him Before he got here, that the counters were far from uncluttered. The older I get, the easier it is to let it go when I have to. I still love having a clean, tidy house. When it is clean and tidy I look around and feel so content...but as Sherwood says, "People Live Here". Yup, Life happens. It's amazing how fast a room can go from pristine to Oh-my-gosh-what-happened!?! That's what occurs when I cook. Sometimes the kitchen just looks wonderfully "utilized" with dishes and pans and utensils in some form of 'usage' everywhere. I decided to make some soup to take to school so we could relax and eat before we danced tonight. Chicken Noodle Soup and a Cilantro Vegetable Soup were on the menu.
There's something satisfying about making stock. Boiling the bones of previously roasted and frozen chickens gives your soup an extra layer of flavor. I definitely made the soup tonight to my own personal taste. I love chicken soup with corn and noodles and rich, meaty broth. Cam delivered the pots to school and we met Darin and Serafina there. It is equally delicious to sit and break bread with new friends as it is to satisfy our stomachs with warm, homemade soup. Thanks for taking time to share dinner with us.
How about making your own chicken soup? Here is a recipe to start with---make it your own. Use what you've got and season it the way you like it. Create your own comfort food- It's truly a pot of gold....and it's great fuel for dancing!

Quick Chicken Noodle Soup
Always a crowd pleaser. It’s been Elizabeth’s favorite since she was a baby.
Serves 4-6
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen corn
6 cups hearty chicken broth( make your own stock if you have time)
3 Tablespoons chicken bouillon paste or powder
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1 1/2 cups egg noodles (tonight I used the high protein Barilla rotini- it held well)
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Cook onion, celery and carrots in butter until fork tender, 5 minutes. Add corn. Pour in chicken broth and stir in chicken, bouillon, and noodles. salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes. Adjust seasonings. Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.
A side of crusty bread and a salad makes this soup a meal.

No comments: