Saturday, May 19, 2007

Fiddlefest and Spicy Five-Bean Salad

We went dancing last night and I've got to tell you- Sherwood was on FIRE! He was stylin'! It was my favorite night of dancing ever!! Paul and Daniel did a great job with the DJ-ing- they kept us on our feet all night long. What a night! I live for this feeling. Dancing gives me such joy! I hope that all of you can find and actually do that thing that makes you smile from the inside out...and do it often. Every time I dance I add a few months ON to my life. Seriously. Thank goodness for Sherwood and his magic feet!
Sunday, May 20, 2007-It's time for Fiddlefest! Slow Food Portland holds this annual event featuring local chefs, delicious food and live music. It's going to rain, so it will be the perfect afternoon family activity. I'll be bringing Maine Antipasto with marinated fiddleheads (from Rising Tide Market), smoked shrimp, smoked scallops, miniature mozzarella balls and smoked salmon, Broccoli Apple Salad with Maple Garlic Dressing, Gorgonzola dressing with fresh arugula from Morning Dew Farm, Spicy Five Bean Salad and Herbed Chevre spread with crackers. I'm just about ready to fall into bed so I can get up early and be early to arrive at Fiddlefest. Hope to see you there.
Spicy Five-Bean Salad
This tangy salad is an ideal accompaniment for grilled chicken, sure to please your palate!
Serves8-10
Salad:
2 c black beans
2 c navy beans
2 c garbanzo beans
1 c broad beans
2 c edamamme (soybeans)
1 bunch fresh parsley, washed and chopped
4 scallions, washed and chopped
Dressing:
1 c olive oil
3⁄4 c red wine vinegar
2 T cumin
2 limes, zested and juiced
1 T fresh lemon juice
2 t sugar or Splenda sweetener
1 T fresh oregano, chopped
1 T chili powder
1 T fresh parsley, chopped
1⁄4 t Tabasco sauce (or more to your taste)
2 t salt
1 T white pepper
Toss all the beans together with parsley and scallions.
Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Pour over beans and toss evenly.
Marinate the salad for at least an hour, or overnight.

No comments: